This week our church started a four week sermon series entitled “Googling God.” Basically, the congregation was asked to write down any question they would ask God or want to hear more about from the stage. This week’s question: Is the Bible Real? Our adult ministries pastor (Frank) did an excellent job addressing the question. Here are the questions for the next three weeks: Week 2-How Can I follow Someone I Can’t See? Week 3-Evolution vs. Intelligent Design Week 4-Why Does God Allow Suffering?
It should be an interesting sermon series.
Here are a few of my notes from today:
There is internal evidence that the Bible is real:
– The Bible claims to be inspired (by God) 2 Timothy 3:16
– The Bible speaks with authority John 7:46
– There is unity of the writings
– All the books address the fallen state of mankind
– All the books address one solution – God’s grace
– Many of the prophesies in the Bible have already been fulfilled
– Reliability of the text
– There are ~500 original manuscripts that all support each other
There is external evidence that the Bible is real:
– Historical accuracy
– You can actually go to many of the places described in the Bible
– Unsurpassed worldwide distribution and influence
– The Bible sells between 30 and 50 million copies a year
– The Bible has been published in 1200 languages
– The Bible changes lives Hebrews 4:12
– Look around and see the lives in our own church that have been changed
Here are a few questions that I might ask God:
1. Why can’t the Phillies (or any team from Philadelphia) win a championship?
2. How can we reach so many people who are far from God in our area who have everything?
3. Why does there have to be so much disunity among followers of Christ?
I’d be curious to know what some of your questions would be.
Until the next post….